Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Christmas Pud is steaming...

Although I won't be with my side of the family on Christmas Day, I will give them a homemade Christmas pudding, made with love.

This is my Mum's Renaware stock pot, enamel pudding basin and a plate from her 'best' china set....
~

The recipe for the pudding is still on the Tandaco Suet mix box...I follow it almost to the letter...

~

~
... apart from soaking the fruit in 1/2 a cup of brandy for over a week. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of brandy that goes in on making day.
~

this is all of the dry ingredients mixed thoroughly...

~

Then the brandy sozzled dried fruit is added (I added a small packet of glace cherries too)...
~

Grease the pudding bowl with butter, make a cartouche with kitchen paper...

Add in the eggs, boiling water and bicarb soda and mix well...

Spoon mixture into the pudding bowl...

Press down the dartouche and trim it off...

Cover with another layer of kitchen paper and foil and tie tightly with kitchen string...

Put enough water in the pot so it will come about half way up the basin, emerse the plate upside down. This acts as a trivet so the pudding doesn't burn on the bottom...

Sit the pudding in and check that the water level is right. Too much water when it boils might allow water to get into the pudding. You don't want soggy pudding!

~

Once up to the boil, put the lid on and lower it right back down so its just ticking over (mine is on 1) - now it just steams for 5 hours. Check every hour and add in a cup or so more boiling water so the level stays right.

~

I hope it's a good pud!

Well I am back after 5 hours and the pudding has turned out wonderfully. As you can see, it has risen up to the top of the basin...

~

the colour will darken once it is stored away in the fridge...
~
The proof of the pudding is in the eating - but I reckon it will be delicious with brandy custard and cream!

Cheers - Joolz xx

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this (you know, if I ever have a kitchen again), glad you had recipe in photo. When I viewed it initially on my tablet, I thought it said 14 cups of boiling water...couldn't quite see the / between the 1 and the 4. Took a concentrating read through for me to figure it out. :) Have a recipe for the brandied custard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you click on the picture it should enlarge it for easier reading, Kath.
    Um, no recipe for the brandied custard - I buy Paull's brand in Woolworths!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.