Friday, September 5, 2014

Froog's Fish Cakes ...


Frugal Queen posted a recipe for Fish and Potato cakes. They sounded yummy so I gave them a whirl last night.  I bought a pack of fish fillets (expensive at $7.50 I thought) to steam but next time I will try and use fresh white fish  eg. Flathead or ling. From comments on her page, canned salmon or tuna would also work.
~
http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/09/homemade-fishcakes.html
~
 
I zapped both pouches in the microwave for about 6 minutes on med/high...
~
I thought the fillets were processed and pressed into a fillet shape but no, they were true fillets as evidenced by the flakey texture. The lemon, parsley sauce added a bit of zing...
~
I added 6 spring onions, frozen peas and fresh corn from the cob to boost veggie content...
~
I steamed 6 medium spuds until tender.  Mashed them and added a good knob of butter and about 1/4 cup of milk. You don't want the mash to be sloppy.  I used dry parsley and seasoned with salt and pepper...
~
This is the mix with the flaked fish carefully stirred in...
~
I put down baking paper on a tray and sprayed with olive oil spray.  Using my large scone cutter as a form (upside down), I made each cake, giving it a rough top si it would brown and crunch up nicely.
~
Here they are, ready to serve...
~
I made a nice salad of lettuce, carrot, sundried tomatoes, olives, avocado and cucumber...
~
These were really yummy with a dollop of tartare sauce on the side.  Well worth making!
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

 


 

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so yummy and the salad looks divine. $7.50 is a pricey for the fish. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good, Joolz. I might give them a try with canned tuna or salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made fish patties for ages! I wonder whether my kids would like them? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these on Froogs blog the other day and saved the recipe, but then forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.